BetterWithCats.net may earn a small commission when you use one of the links on this page to purchase.
Have you ever had to be away from home for more than one night, but couldn’t find a pet sitter to look after your cat?
Does your kitty wake you up in the middle of the night demanding treats?
Perhaps it’s time you considered an automatic food feeder.
Maybe you already have but decided that you didn’t want to be stuck feeding dry food only.
But there are actually a surprising number of automatic wet food feeders out there! They’re great for providing your cat with food whenever you need it to. They’re handy whether you’re planning a weekend getaway or if you work long hours away from home. It’s also perfect for a stay at home cat parent who wants their feline babies to have a strict feeding schedule.
When it comes to wet food, choosing the perfect automatic wet food feeder can be tricky. To save you some time, we explored all the best options for you and your cat!
Take a look at our top picks for automatic wet food feeders! We’ve got detailed reviews of each, but if you want a sneak peek at the full list you can see below. When you use our affiliate links it helps support the site by earning us a small commission!
- Best Overall: The Cat Mate C500 Automatic Pet Feeder with Digital Timer
- Runner Up: PetSafe, 5 Meal Pet Feeder
- Best on a Budget: Cat Mate C200, 2 Bowl Pet Feeder
- Best on a Budget Alternative: Pawise Automatic Pet Feeder
- Premium Pick: Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder
All You Need to Know Before Buying an Automatic Wet Food Feeder
Before we dive into the top automatic wet food feeders, it’s important to go through the benefits of getting one. An automatic wet food feeder can help you divide your cat’s food into several portions, and it allows you to schedule them throughout the day. It’s a great way to monitor your cat’s food intake and it’ll also make sure no meal is ever missed.
Why Is the Automatic Wet Food Feeder Useful?
Your feline companion should be the main criterion to impact your decision in this investment. Understanding your cat’s personality when it comes to eating is crucial. Are they overeating? Do they stress eat? If you have more than one cat, do they steal each other’s food?
Weight control: “Obesity in cats is definitely a growing problem,” states Carolyn McDaniel, DVM, a lecturer in clinical sciences at Cornel University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Studies support Dr. McDaniel’s view that “Probably 50 percent of cats seen at the veterinary clinics these days are overweight, if not obese.”
House cats are not as active as they used to be. No matter how premium your cat’s food is, their diet can still be poor. Choosing an automatic wet food feeder with a timer can help you keep track of how much your cat eats without overeating. You can break their daily portions into smaller meals which can help with digestion. This prevents stress eating and the occasional vomit stain on your carpet.
Our feline companions can seem chaotic at first, but they can thrive in environments with healthy discipline. Using an automatic food feeder will stop your cat from relying on you for food. In short, say goodbye to nighttime treat requests and early morning cries.
Medicine: Giving medication to your cat can turn into a battle of wits in no time, whether it’s for a few weeks or an ongoing prescription. Giving the medication is usually easiest when mixed with wet food. But what happens when you’re away working?
When one of my cats had an infection, the automatic food feeder turned out to be the one purchase that saved me lots of trouble. Even when I was at work, or sleeping, I knew that my cat would get the medication I had mixed with his wet food on time.
Travel: Cats are usually considered a low maintenance pet, but every cat parent knows that looks can be deceiving. Dr. Vitale’s study in 2017 showed that most cat’s preferred interacting with a person over food or playing with a toy.
Since they don’t require long walks and they tend to sleep for more than 15 hours a day, they do offer certain freedom. Nonetheless, cats still need their daily meals and while dry food can be left open for a few days, it’s not an option when it comes to wet food. Certain automatic food feeders can help keep the wet food fresh and your cat fed for a night or two. Also, this can be a great way to feed your cat wet food even when you’re not with it.
Even if you’re not planning on leaving the automatic wet food feeder can offer you peace of mind when it comes to feeding. It can be a chore you can easily leave out of your list.
Do Automatic Food Feeders Work with Wet Food?
Wet food can prove troublesome whether you’re home or not. My cat tends to nibble on his food throughout the whole day, which can oftentimes transform his wet food into a dry and unpalatable mess. When I had to choose an automatic wet food feeder, my main worry was, how could I keep the wet food fresh?
What worked for me was getting an automatic wet food feeder which came with ice packs. Those ice packs are located under the food bowl and they usually promise to keep the wet food cool up to 24-48 hours in advance. When I plan on leaving for a night or two, I take an additional step. I freeze the wet food along with the ice packs before placing them in the feeder. I found it kept the wet food fresh for longer.
Important Features to Consider
If you’ve made up your mind and you want to buy an automatic wet food feeder there are still some important features to consider before tying the knot.
Storage capacity: One of the main reasons one would consider getting a feeder, is the luxury of not worrying about your cat’s meals every day. This is why the size of the bowl and the number of meals the feeder can offer you matter. Knowing the feeder’s storage capacity will help you control the portions your cat must eat in a day.
If your cat eats both wet and dry food make sure the feeder offer’s this flexibility. Some models come with different-sized feeding attachments. The size should also have room for both small and large kibble sizes.
Feeding time: Knowing how many meals the automatic food feeder features will affect the number of meals your cat can have in a day. Make sure the device has a timer that will suit your schedule. Whether you want to have a daily meal plan or stretch it for a day or two longer, a timer is essential.
- Pet-proof: This feature will prove crucial for the longevity and usefulness of your device. Make sure that the feeder is made of safe materials and is durable to any possible break-in attempts by your feline companion.
- Cleaning: Bacteria and bad smells can easily develop if you don’t clean their bowls. If you’re using wet food, it’s important that the material used is easy to clean. Perhaps consider a feeder that is dishwasher safe.
- Battery life: Before purchasing the feeder, check the device’s battery life. Most claim that they last for a year, but this also depends if the device goes to stand by mode when not used. Perhaps consider an automatic food feeder with a battery indicator.
- Warranty: Make sure the company offers a warranty and a return policy on the feeder in case you’re not happy with the product, or there’s a manufacturer’s mistake.
- Noise: If your cat is sensitive to noise, try to avoid automatic feeders with loud ticking timers. With some feeders, you can record your own voice to call your pet when it’s time to eat. This feature can bring comfort to your little companion when you’re away, especially if your cat wants you to be present when they’re eating. Make sure your kitty isn’t afraid of noises before using the recording.
Features to Avoid:
- If your cat is extremely curious and strong-willed look for a sturdy feeder with a secure lock. This way your cat won’t be able to knock the feeder over or get to the meals before the right time.
- Make sure you’ll be able to schedule the meals and avoid predetermined feeding timers.
- Look for an automatic food feeder that can hold wet and dry food, in case your cat likes having both.
- Try going for a feeder with a backup battery option. This will come in handy in case there’s a blackout and it’ll save you from losing the programmed schedule.
- Avoid automatic wet food feeders that are hard to take apart and put back together. It can easily become a frustrating task after each cleaning.
Best Overall: The Cat Mate C500 Automatic Pet Feeder with Digital Timer
✔️ Easy to setup
✔️ Comes with two cooling ice packs which makes it great for wet food.
✔️ Both cover and bowl are dishwasher safe.
✔️ Battery status indicator so you don’t have to worry about the batteries dying if you’re gone for the day.
✔️ 3-year manufacturer’s guarantee
✔️ Super quiet!
❌ The compartments are not airtight
❌ Has only a 24-hour time schedule but if you’re gone much longer than that you’ll want a cat sitter!
❌ No ac adapter and 3 AA batteries are not included
We recommend the Cat Mate C500 because it’s an excellent product when it comes to great quality and a reasonable price point. It’s no surprise to see this automatic wet food feeder rocking the best-seller title!
Storage capacity: The Cat Mate C500 offers 5 compartments and each can hold up to 1.5 cups of wet food. This great feeder allows you to program 4 different meals. The first meal is open for your cat to have its initial feed and the next 4 meals can be timed for when you’re away. This means that you can rely on this device to feed your cat on time, by a custom feeding schedule of your choice. This schedule can work for multiple days or 5 meals per day. Product dimensions, 12.2 x 11.89 x 3.7 inches; 14.82 ounces.
Feeding time: The Cat Mate C500 automatic feeder uses a Quartz timer which means you should be able to keep your pet on a regular diet. The digital timer is easy to set up and it allows you to program regular feeding times in advance.
Wet food approved: This feeder is perfectly suitable for both wet and dry food. Thanks to the built-in ice packs the wet food can stay fresh for up to 12 hours. The lid is well-fitting which should also keep the food fresh and secure from your curious cat.
- Pet-proof: The device itself is quite sturdy, and it also has a mechanism, which allows you to tighten it to a stable surface for extra stability.
- Cleaning: The Cat Mate’s cover and bowl can be easily taken apart to be cleaned and it’s also dishwasher safe
- Battery life: This device works on 3AA batteries, which should last up to 12 months. It also comes with a battery status indicator. The automatic feeder has a Standby feature when it hasn’t been operating in 25 seconds.
- Warranty: Lastly the company is known for its great customer service. The warranty it offers lasts for three years; in case the feeder develops mechanical issues.
- Noise: This feeder doesn’t produce any ticking noises that could scare your cat. You can also leave a 10-second recording message, that your cat can hear when it’s time to eat.
You can check the latest price and read more reviews on Amazon by clicking here.
Runner Up: PetSafe, 5 Meal Pet Feeder
✔️ 5 separate bowls for 5 scheduled feedings gives you a lot of options
✔️ Each bowl can hold up to a cup of dry and wet food
✔️ The tray is dishwasher safe
✔️ Batteries last up to 12 months
✔️ 12-month warranty
✔️ Environmentally-friendly, made of BPA-free plastic
❌ A 24-hour time schedule means you don’t have as much flexibility in scheduling
❌ Doesn’t offer cooling options
❌ Doesn’t have a low battery indicator
The PetSafe 5 Meal Pet Feeder is a great feeder and I really like the unique style with 5 separate containers. But it’s still missing a few of the features that we love in the CatMate (like the battery light) which is why I had to put in the runner up spot.
Storage capacity: The PetSafe feeder, has 5 compartments and each can hold up to one cup of food. A fresh meal is available in the first tray immediately and then it will rotate up to four more set times. Since each tray can take up to 236 ml of dry pet food, it’s perfect for portion control or for feeding more than one cat. You can plan the portions and the time your favorite companion will be fed. Product dimensions, 15 x 5 x 18 inches; 3.28 pounds.
Feeding time: It’s a great device to plan your kitty’s meals ahead. You can set mealtimes up to 5 days in advance. It will automatically feed your cat up to 4 additional pre-portioned meals a day. With the PetSafe feeder, you can serve scheduled medication or go for a lovely weekend trip.
Wet food approval: In the multiple slots you can store both wet and dry food. The closed lid is perfect for keeping the wet food fresh, but the lack of ice packs limits the longevity. If you plan on leaving your cat alone for more than two nights, wet food mightn’t be a good option.
- Pet-proof: The simple programming is super convenient, and the device features a built-in digital clock and a clear LCD display. The feeder is sturdy, but don’t forget to close the lid so it latches. This will keep it secure from your curious cat.
- Cleaning: Press the release latch to open it when you want to clean it. The tray is dishwasher safe.
- Battery life: This automatic wet food feeder works with 4 D cell batteries, which aren’t included. They can last up to 12 months.
- Warranty: The PetSafe 5 meal pet feeder includes a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty in case something happens to the product.
- Noise: It makes a distinct sound when the tray rotates, which can annoy your cat until they get used to it.
You can find the latest price on Amazon by clicking here.
Best on a Budget: Cat Mate C200, 2 Bowl Pet Feeder
✔️ Two large bowls, each holds 14-oz of wet food
✔️ Great for single or multiple pets households
✔️ Ice pack included keeps food fresh
✔️ Easy-clean, suitable for dishwasher
✔️ 48-hour timer
❌ The indent on the knob is a bit slight
❌ Larger bowls would be nice
This automatic wet food feeder contains two large bowls, each holding 14-oz of wet food.
The Cat Mate C20 is great for someone who wants to invest in an automatic feeder but wants to keep things budget-friendly.
Storage capacity: This automatic wet food feeder is designed to feed one or two cats, kittens, or even small dogs. Each bowl can hold up 14-oz of wet food. Product dimensions: 10.5 x 9.7 x 3.5 inches
Feeding time: This automatic food feeder is very easy to use. It’s necessary to just set the timer on each lid to open at the required time, up to 48 hours later.
Wet food approved: The Cat Mate C20 automatic feeder comes with an ice pack included which helps keep the wet food fresh for delayed feeding.
The ice pack is 6.5 inches long, 3.5 inches wide, and measures 0.5 inches in height.
- Pet-proof: This product is very simple to use. If you think your cat could flip the whole feeder over, all you have to do is attach it to a heavy board.
- Cleaning: Easy to clean, since normally only the bowls will require washing. The lid lifting leavers, lids, and the base unit can be wiped with a soapy cloth.
- Battery life: This automatic feeder requires 1 x AA battery which can last up to a year.
- Warranty: The Cat Mate C20 offers three-year warranty.
- Noise: The rotation of the dials on this automatic pet feeder is silent.
Best on a Budget Alternative: Pawise Automatic Pet Feeder
✔️ Easy to operate
✔️ Great for managing portions
✔️ Allows you to schedule meals up to 48 hours in advance
✔️ Holds up to 3 cups of dry food
✔️ 3-year warranty
✔️ BPA-fee plastic
❌ You can only schedule two meals
❌ The ticking timer is noisy
❌ No battery indicator
It’s always great to have more than one budget-friendly option, this is why Pawise automatic pet feeder is on our list.
Storage capacity: The Pawise Automatic pet feeder had two large bowls, enough to feed two cats a day. Each compartment holds up to 300 ml of food, which is equivalent to 1.3 cups. It’s perfect if you’re working for long hours or if your cat loves eating during the night time or early in the morning, but it might not be enough to get your cat through a weekend. Product dimensions, 27 x 24 x 7.01 cm; 793.79 grams.
Feeding time: This nifty device allows you to set up two meals within 48 hours. The countdown timer makes it easy to set up the feeder for your cat’s next meal.
Wet food approved: The built-in ice packs will ensure the food lasts up to 12 hours. If you want to prolong the longevity of the food make sure to freeze the ice-pack and place the food in the fridge or freezer before you place it inside the bowl. Additionally, place the feeder away from any sun or heating devices to ensure the food will stay fresh for longer.
- Pet-proof: The Pawise simple set up makes it easy to use. The sturdy construction promises that your cat won’t manage to break into the compartments no matter how hard it might try.
- Cleaning: The material is easy to clean and the bowls are dishwasher safe.
- Battery life: Each tray runs on a single AA battery, which is not included. The downside is that there’s no battery indicator and the feeder doesn’t have a standby mode, which means the battery runs nonstop.
- Warranty: This automatic cat food feeder has a three-year warranty, which is handy in case you find something not working properly.
- Noise: The ticking timer makes enough noise to frustrate a kitty that feels uneasy around strange sounds.
You can check the latest price on Amazon by clicking here.
Premium Pick: Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder
✔️ Compatible with all microchips worldwide
✔️ Built-in memory which stores up to 32 microchips
✔️ 1 RFID collar tag
✔️ It has a training mode that shuts the lid in stages, to help your cat get used to the device
✔️ 3-year warranty
✔️ The sealed bowl keeps the food fresher, reduces smells, and keeps flies away.
❌ Bowls are not dishwasher safe
❌ Doesn’t include an ice pack
Last but certainly not least, we present to you the Surefeed Microchip Pet feeder. This feeder might be on the pricy side, but according to its users, it’s worth every penny.
Microchip Technology: The Surefeed Microchip pet feeder is hands down the best feeder when it comes to regulating your cat’s intake. This device opens only for a registered pet’s veterinary implanted microchip or RFID collar tag. The RFID collar tag is supplied along with the feeder. This feeder can store up to 32 microchip numbers so it’s perfect for a multi-cat household.
This device has a training mode, which helps timid cats trust the feeder. The lid closes in stages to help your cat get used to the movement and sound. While the authorization mechanism protects your cat’s food from intruders, and it prevents other pets from stealing your cat’s food.
Storage capacity: The Surefeed microchip ped feeder has one compartment. The bowl is airtight and can hold up to 400mg of wet food. A single and a split bowl, and a mat are included in the package. They also come in additional colors of grey, green, pink, and blue, which could be handy if you were planning on buying two feeders for more than one cat. Stainless bowls are also available. Product dimensions: 8.27 x 12.6 x 5.91 inches; 2.2 pounds.
The size of the bowl might not give you the luxury of leaving your kitty alone for a couple of days, but it’s perfect for nighttime or morning feedings since it’s a timed cat feeder for wet food.
Feeding time: This automatic feeder is perfect for monitoring your cat’s diet, for giving prescribed medication if one of your cats is sick, and it can keep your cats from eating each other’s food.
This smart automatic cat feeder comes in a standard version, and there’s also a version with a hub for connecting to the Sure Petcare app. This app can help you monitor how much and how often your cat eats, as well as show its weight via the integrated scales on the feeder.
This feature is perfect if you want to implement portion control, especially if your cat is overweight. You can also monitor your cat’s feeding habits and notice any changes which could indicate health issues.
Wet food approved: The SureFeed is perfectly suitable for wet food. The lid of the feeder closes onto a sealed bowl, which keeps the food fresher. This device also comes with a split bowl which means your cat can enjoy both wet and dry food. You could also add an ice pack that isn’t included.
- Pet-proof: Despite its futuristic features, the SureFeed is easy to use whether you buy the standard version or the hub version. It’s also a sturdy device and can withstand your cat’s curiosity.
- Cleaning: The bowls and the mat are easy to clean, but they’re not dishwasher safe.
- Battery life: The feeder is powered by 4 C cell batteries and they can last up to 6 months. There is a low battery indicator that will flash when the batteries need to be changed. Even when the batteries are removed, the feeder will remember all the registered pets.
- Warranty: Just like most automatic feeders on our list, the SureFeed has a three-year warranty.
- Noise: The device produces a clicking sound, so if you have a kitty who dislikes snappy and clicking noises it might be an issue
You can check today’s price on Amazon by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve come this far then you’ve reached the last step of this cat-wonderful journey!
Now it’s time to answer any questions you might possibly have!
How many times a day should I feed my cat?
This will depend on a number of factors, which include age, your kitty’s dietary needs, their activity level, their size, and of course their personality. Most healthy adult cats can be fed once or twice a day. Kittens usually need smaller portions throw-out the whole day to be easily accessible. Cat’s that are overweight and have specific dietary needs might require specific portions during specific times of the day. The best way to determine which type of feeding is more suitable for your cat is by visiting a veterinarian.
You can also find useful information in our kitten feeding chart by age.
How do I set an automatic feeder?
This usually depends on the feeder. The best advice would be to read the manual before getting started! Most automatic food feeders have easy enough instructions. Usually, you’ll have to set up the device by filling the compartments with food. Then you’ll have to select the times you want your meal to be distributed. Once you’ve set the timer, the device will take it from there. Your job will be reduced to cleaning and the occasional refilling.
How do I get my cat to stop tipping over the automatic feeder?
If your cat is a curious little creature and won’t stop until it gets what it wants, there are a few simple solutions. You could place the feeder on a solid surface with no bumps or you could attach the feeder to a heavy board to make it unmovable. You could also take some of the techniques from our list of the best cat water bowls that won’t tip over and apply those strategies to your automatic wet food feeder!
It can be easy to keep our fluffy companions happy, but in some cases taking care of our cats can be more complicated. An automatic wet food feeder can certainly make things easier, at least when it comes to kitty-meals.
We’ve presented you with a solid list of the best automatic wet food feeders and now it’s your turn to choose which is the perfect one for you.
Let us know which one you will be taking home!